2017 SETX FLOOD RELIEF GUIDE
As a result of Hurricane Harvey, we have experienced devastation on many levels with our homes and property. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy. Slowly, but surely, we are on the road to recovery.
On September 4, shortly after Hurricane Harvey hit Beaumont, some of our team (Ronnie, Stoney, Adam, Justin, and our good friend and attorney John Bullard) unloaded a trailer donated from the Tyler home builders association and distributed it at the Flooring Design Center. The trailer contained food, water, hygiene, cleaning supplies and clothes. We had a ton of stuff and a ton of people.
The event was put on by Hope Cherie Hilz, the executive officer of the Home Builders Association of Southeast Texas. With the help of TAB and NAHB, Hope has also put together a “Flood Relief Guide” designed to help homeowners find key information and resources to assist them in their recovery efforts. It is a great resource that also includes our local association’s builder and associate rosters for referrals.
Some of the highlights are listed below. You can also download the complete 15 page guide by clicking HERE.
WHEN SELECTING A QUALIFIED CONTRACTOR
• MAKE SURE THE CONTRACTOR HAS A PERMANANT BUSINESS LOCATION AND A GOOD REPUTATION WITH THE LOCAL BANK AND SUPPLIERS.
• FIND OUT HOW LONG THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE BUILDING BUSINESS. YOU WANT TO KNOW THAT YOUR CONTRACTOR WILL BE AROUND AFTER CONSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED TO FULFILL ANY WARRANTY OBLIGATIONS.
• CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU TO LEARN IF ANY COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN FILED AGAINST THE CONTRACTOR. BBB SOUTHEAST TEXAS (409) 835-5348
• ASK FOR AND VERIFY REFERENCES.
• ENTER INTO A COMPLETE AND CLEARLY WRITTEN CONTRACT WITH YOUR BUILDER OR REMODELER.
• DO NOT PAY FOR THE ENTIRE JOB UP FRONT OR PAY IN CASH. IN FACT, STATE LAW PROHIBITS CONTRACTORS IN DISASTER AREAS FROM TAKING UP FRONT MONEY UNLESS THEY HAVE HELD A PHYSICAL BUSINESS ADDRESSED IN THE COUNTY OR ADJACENT COUNTY FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR.
• BE CAUTIOUS OF UNUSUAL LOW PRICED BIDS OR A HARD SALE TO “SIGN TODAY” FOR LOW PRICE.
• VERIFY THAT YOUR REMODELER IS AN EPA LEAD-SAFE CERTIFIED RENOVATOR, IF YOU ARE PLANNING WORK IN A PRE-1978 HOME THAT WILL DISTURB MORE THAN 6 SQUARE FEET OF PAINTED SURFACES INSIDE THE HOME OR 20 SQUARE FEET ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE HOME, THAT HAS BEEN TESTED TO HAVE LEAD PAINT.
• IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF STRUCTURAL CHANGES TO YOUR HOME AS A RESULT OF THIS DISASTER, HOMEOWNERS SHOULD CONSULT WITH A LICENSED ENGINEER THAT HAS BEEN APPOINTED BY THE TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE. LEARN MORE AT HTTP://WWW.TDI.TEXAS.GOV/WIND/ENGAPPOINTMENT.HTML#LIST
• GET WRITTEN ESTIMATES FROM AT LEAST 3 CONTRACTORS FOR COMPARISON BEFORE HIRING ONE.
• USE LOCAL CONTRACTORS, IF POSSIBLE. LIKE YOU, THEY LIVE IN AND CARE ABOUT THEIR COMMUNITY.